Learning to relax when you are constantly feeling anxious can be difficult. As a disclaimer…these are my personal solutions that have worked for me and they may work for you…but maybe not. Life is all about learning about ourselves and so if these tips don’t work for you…don’t give up hope…there is a solution for you…you just have to keep working at it.
So, with that being said there is two lists today. 1. “Preventatives for Anxiety” and 2. “How to Deal with Anxiety Bloops.” If you have any tips drop a comment and if you or your friends deal with anxiety be sure to share this blog!
Preventatives for Anxiety
- Eating better. This tip helps me avoid panic attacks particularly because I have a little rough relationship with food. When I am eating the way I want to, I feel more calm and in control of my situation.
- Meditation. This one seems to be a little scary for people to start because they think they have to save an hour of time to concentrate and use all your brain power. This isn’t the case. Meditation can simply be five minutes to take deep breathes and realign your thoughts or just taking five minutes to sit quietly and let what happens happens. I try to take at least 10 minutes in the morning and at night…and it has made a huge difference!
- Making a battle plan. In the morning or the night before I make a very simple non detailed to do list. The list is so if i get stressed or overwhelmed and the fact that it’s non detailed…means if things go a little off track I can still stick to the general plan but have wiggle room to adjust to change. I find that this helps my pre-anxiety induced thoughts focus and not get too derailed.
- Routines. Whether it’s always going to the same coffee shop or having the same breakfast, etc. It creates a comforting sense of familiarity so when you have a crazy day of adventures…it’s balanced with routine.
- Sleep. I personally suck butt at this one…but when I succeed I feel better. When I am sleep deprived it’s easier for your mind to slip into unhealthy thinking. Take melatonin I find that it really helps…especially with insomniacs like myself.
How to Deal with Anxiety Bloops
These are tips for when you have already slipped into the thick of anxiety. Tips you have probably heard before…but they are a good reminder.
- Deep breaths. Your body locks up when you are anxious and deep breathing help get oxygen to the brain and muscles. Somewhat forcing you to relax. I don’t care if you think you look stupid taking deep breaths…do it…it helps.
- Fact or Opinion? When you are anxious about something, it’s usually about a scenario you have created all in you head…and we put it into the category of fact. Most of that time…that is not the case. Taking a moment to take the thought and put it in the proper category can a lot of times dislodge the anxiety’s hold.
- Accept it. I know I have spent most of my life fighting the fact that I have anxiety. It has a derogatory tag attached to it and it’s often tossed to the side as if it doesn’t matter. Telling myself that my reactions to things are stupid and dramatic…they are…but they are also real. Acknowledging your feelings are the first step to dealing with them. Don’t suppress them…that will only make things worse.
- Happy Place. I find that taking a moment to visualize a comforting place or person will get me back to a place where I can do the previous three steps. I Think of the ocean. Try to hear the waves and seagulls, small the salty air, etc.
- Pressure. This tip is for more when you are home or with a loved one. Wrapping yourself up in a blanket, putting pillows on you, or getting a loved one to hug you can help relax your body by applying a lot of pressure over a majority of your body.
I hope these tips can help you out when you are in a tough spot. I know they help me. That’s all for today’s blog, hope you have a wonderful night!